Hot Air Balloons Acrylic Painting
- 1 pencil and eraser for the sketch
- Canvas or Paper
- Pallet or a normal plate
- 3 Paintbrushes; Large one for the background, medium for the balloon and fine for details
- 1 cup with a bit of water to wash the brush in between colours or to dilute the paint when needed
- Tissue paper to dry your paintbrushes when needed
- Acrylic Paint
- Draw the shape of a light bulb a bit inclined to the left, so it can show movement, then draw a small rectangular box below it, followed by ropes from the balloon to the basket.
- Draw a smaller light bulb shape for the second hot air balloon, then draw a small rectangular box below it, followed by the ropes connecting the hot air balloon with the basket.
- Draw vertical lines inside the upper side of the hot air balloon from the centre to the sides and then horizontal lines if you wish.
- Background: Start painting the background with a large brush. Start with dark blue and mix it with white, blending it in gently. Make sure you go around the silhouette or shape of the balloon to avoid painting the inside of the balloon with the background colour. Don’t forget to paint the area where you have the ropes connecting the hot air balloon with the basket.
- Select a colour you would like to use for the basket. We mixed red + green to create brown and added a bit of white.
Select the colours you would like to use for the base of the balloon.
- Hot air balloons: Using your medium brush, start painting the top part of the big balloon and then move on to the other colours below one by one. After you finish the big balloon move on to the smaller one repeating the process.
- Paint the baskets / rectangular shapes.
If you think you can make good straight lines with black using your fine paintbrush, do the ropes and the outline of the hot air balloons. If not, sometimes a permanent marker or black oil pastel is easier.
- Once the hot air balloon paint is dry, proceed to do the outlines with black paint, marker on oil pastel.
Don't forget to share your final Art Piece on social media, tag @kidscircleaus and #kidscircleaus to go in the monthly draw for a special prize 😉